When you decide to take an employee through your published progressive discipline process you protect yourself and serve your employees best when you use a standardized form in each progressive discipline conversation.
When the decision has been made to take an employee through your published progressive discipline process, you protect yourself and serve your employees best when you use a standardized form in each progressive discipline conversation.
The following form was included in the BusinessCPR™ Progressive Disciple Policy and is available here to help you address employee and employment-related problems that are hindering an employee’s ability to contribute while hurting your business. Below is a recap of the BusinessCPR™ Progressive Disciple Process. Click here if you would like to read the full article.
Before the Meeting. Arrange to meet with the employee privately. The discipline of an employee is not to be done in public or in front of other workhttps://business-cpr.com/articles/progressive-discipline-policy/ers. Meeting preparation includes reviewing notes and files about the specific incident or problem in question and any past discipline taken, either verbal or written.
During the Meeting
- Explain to the employee why they have been called to this meeting even if they say they know already.
- State the specific problem regarding the actual contribution issue and desired contribution.
- Review the completed progressive discipline form with the employee and confirm the steps taken and the next steps.
- Give the employee a chance to respond, explain their view of their actions.
- Acknowledge the employee’s response, and be sure to include it in your notes of the discipline session.
- Tell the employee how you expect their behavior to change. Give specific examples and suggestions.
- Indicate your confidence in the employee’s ability and willingness to change the behavior.
- Have the employee repeat back to confirm they understand the problem and are clear on what changes are expected.
- Explain to the employee that you will write a memo summarizing the session as documentation.
- Reassure the employee how you value their work and that you want to work with the employee to make sure that they can continue to work with you.
After the Meeting
- Using notes from the session, your supervisor will complete the Employee Counseling Action Form in detail, ensuring that it is dated and ALL relevant boxes are checked, etc.
- If a written warning has been issued, you will be required to sign the documentation acknowledging receipt. Any self-created documentation will be included.
- Give the employee a copy of the document no later than the end of the day following the conversation.
- Submit the original completed form to your immediate supervisor, who will forward it to the Human Resources department.
- Monitor the employee’s behavior and performance to ensure they are honoring their commitments and that the problem has not reoccurred.
CONCLUSION: The application of this policy will help ensure a productive, respectful, and safe environment to work for ALL of our employees.
You are not alone …
Should you have questions about implementing the BusinessCPR™ Progressive Discipline Process or in using this form, click here to schedule a time to speak with one of our certified BusinessCPR™ Certified Coaches to get your questions answered.
We are here to help …
Should you have questions about implementing the BusinessCPR™ Progressive Discipline Process or using this form, click here to schedule a time to speak with one of our certified BusinessCPR™ Coaches to get your questions answered.DOWNLOAD TOOL